The summer transfer window is closed for the major leagues in Europe. However, with an eye on January, there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings, goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: Liverpool to move for Douglas Luiz
It’s safe to say Liverpool have endured a tough start to the season — sitting seventh in the Premier League and losing their Champions League opener — and one area of Jurgen Klopp’s squad that has been put under scrutiny is the midfield.
The Brazilian has received plenty of interest, especially from Arsenal who had three bids rejected at the end of the transfer window, while clubs in Italy have also been linked, with AS Roma, AC Milan and Juventus all looking at the 24-year-old.
The report claims that Liverpool are now in the race and a deal for Luiz would see Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain go the other way in a swap.
13.42 BST: Barcelona starlet Gavi still hasn’t signed a new contract…
As a result, Mundo Deportivo claims that Liverpool, Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain all want to sign him for his current €50m release clause.
The 18-year-old midfielder has less than 12 months left on his contract and is expected to pen fresh terms at Camp Nou until 2026 on vastly increased wages. However, the trio of rivals are waiting in case something goes wrong.
13.05 BST: Chelsea made a bid to sign RB Leipzig defender Josko Gvardiol towards the end of the transfer window, says Fabrizio Romano.
Gvardiol, 20, is highly rated and the Blues wanted to agree a reported €90m move to bring in the Croatia international in 2023.
However, Leipzig held firm as they believe Man City and other clubs will fight for his signature next year and possible drive the transfer fee higher, as Gvardiol’s contract doesn’t expire until 2027.
12.03 BST: Wolves have signed former Atletico Madrid and Chelsea striker Diego Costa on a free transfer.
The 33-year-old told the club website: “It’s a first-class club with very good players who know how to play football and having the chance to play in the Premier League again was the main thing.
“Obviously, the club influenced my decision, especially knowing I will be able to adapt a lot more easily here not only from a technical point of view, the quality of the players but also from the fact that a lot of the players are Portuguese and that will make my transition that much smoother …
“I always thought that the Premier League was the best out there, the best in the world. I had the pleasure to play in it, return again and in my opinion, from experience, the league has the atmosphere, the way the game is played, the stadiums full of supporters, the pitch in perfect condition, the respect that players have for each other.
“I did think if I would be able to do it, if I was physically and mentally ready for this new challenge — a difficult one, that I know for sure — but mentally, I’m fine. On a physical and psychological level, I will need two to three weeks to get back in shape but that’s normal since I haven’t done much for a while but I know that I can do it.”
It’s official. ✍️ pic.twitter.com/FXcgReSlsr
— Wolves (@Wolves) September 12, 2022
11.27 BST: PSV Eindhoven midfielder Ibrahim Sangare is on the radar of Liverpool, says Calciomercato.
Sangare, 24, was linked with Man United, West Ham and Leicester during the transfer window but didn’t move on. However, the Ivory Coast international is still of interest for clubs in January, with Liverpool reportedly set to make a bid.
Serie A champions AC Milan are also keen, but Sangare recently signed a new contract until the summer of 2027 so the ball is in PSV’s court over whether they want to let him go.
10.50 BST: Arsenal forward Marquinhos could leave on loan in January, according to The Sun.
Marquinhos, 19, signed for the club this summer and made his debut against FC Zurich in Europa League last week, scoring a goal and providing an assist.
The Gunners wanted to bring in a new winger to replace Nicolas Pepe, who left on loan for Nice, but Marquinhos could also depart on a temporary deal if they land another player in January.
10.21 BST: Antoine Griezmann was subbed on for Atletico Madrid at the 60th minute again this weekend.
Julien Laurens explains why Antoine Griezmann is yet to start for Atletico Madrid in LaLiga this season.
09.48 BST: Chelsea midfielder N’Golo Kante has entered the final 12 months of his contract, with the club keen to offer him new terms, says The Athletic.
Kante, 31, was reportedly offered a two-year deal (with the option of a third) in August, but the France international wants a longer length of contract and is currently unwilling to accept anything less.
09.20 BST: James Olley details why Chelsea fired Thomas Tuchel and hired Brighton’s Graham Potter after just six league games.
Sources have told ESPN that Potter was viewed internally as a risk-taker, having taken the decision to leave England for Sweden and manage Ostersunds, taking a small club from the fourth tier to Europe during his seven years in charge. Senior Chelsea sources also described Potter to ESPN as an innovator who can improve players around him, and that they recognise his ability to over-perform with limited resources.
Comparisons have been drawn internally with Andrew Friedman, who helped the Tampa Bay Rays compete with much bigger teams in Major League Baseball’s Eastern Conference — reaching the World Series for the first time in the franchise’s history in 2008 — before later being given a chance to transform the Los Angeles Dodgers, a team part-owned by Boehly. It is also understood that as they acclimatised to top-level football, senior figures at the club expressed their surprise at the same handful of managers being given repeated opportunities at the highest level. For example, Jose Mourinho managed Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester United in England with varying degrees of success.
Senior sources at the club say they wanted to give a chance to a man they considered a leader performing at a high level at Brighton, but with the potential to grow further. Potter may even be viewed as a more malleable head coach for that reason.
08.55 BST: Espanyol forward Raul de Tomas is set to join Rayo Vallecano in a €12m transfer, according to COPE, though will not be able to be registered until January 2023.
Despite scoring 17 goals in 35 league appearances for Espanyol last season, the 27-year-old is considered surplus to requirements by club coach Diego Martinez.
The Spain international, who played on loan at Rayo from Real Madrid between 2017-2019, is in Madrid ahead of completing his move, having been a reported target of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester United.
Meanwhile, Rayo Vallecano president Martin Presa has claimed he was assaulted and left hospitalised by a football agent as he negotiated a deal to sign De Tomas last month, sources told ESPN.
Sources confirmed Presa has pressed charges against Ivan Garcia, who works for the agency ICM Stellar, for headbutting him during a meeting in Madrid in August. In the police report, which was first revealed by COPE on Friday, Presa said things turned ugly when he accused the agency of damaging their own players’ best interests.
08.32 BST: AC Milan forward Rafael Leao has hit a wall in negotiations over a new contract, according to Corriere dello Sport.
Leao, 23, has been one of the club’s best players in recent years and was linked with a massive €80m move to Chelsea over the summer.
However, the Portugal forward is happy to stay at San Siro if he gets €7m a year in wages. The Serie A champions aren’t keen to go that high, knowing they have a €150m release clause in his current contract.
08.00 BST: Bayern Munich sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic says he has not spoken to Tottenham regarding a move for striker Harry Kane.
Bayern were looking for a replacement for Robert Lewandowski over the summer, after he left for Barcelona, but only signed 17-year-old Mathys Tel up front.
Salihamidzic has told Sport1: “I haven’t spoken to anyone at Harry Kane’s camp.
“We have faith in our players. Serge [Gnabry], Sadio [Mane], [Eric Maxim] Choupu-Moting and also [Mathys] Tel. These are guys who should grow into it. We have eight players for four positions. In the end you have to see what the market has to offer and we didn’t find anyone is better than what was already in our squad.”
Steve Nicol speaks about Cristiano Ronaldo’s performance in Man United’s 1-0 loss to Real Sociedad.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Danny Lewis)
– Manchester United‘s top stars believe Cristiano Ronaldo still wants to leave Old Trafford and has his eye on a January exit, claims The Sun. The likes of Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Atletico Madrid and PSG all turned down the chance to sign the 37-year-old Ronaldo in the summer, while the Portugal international dismissed a switch to Saudi Arabia.
– Robin Gosens has been unable to convince Internazionale bosses on the left flank, which Calciomercato indicates could lead the Italian giants to move for Benfica‘s Alex Grimaldo. The Spaniard’s contract ends in the summer of 2023, so they could even sign him as a free agent.
– Chelsea remain interested in Dinamo Moscow attacking midfielder Arsen Zakharyan and have formulated a plan to pursue the 19-year-old in the coming months, writes Fabrizio Romano, who adds that the Blues see him as a talent for the present and future. While personal terms and a fee of €15m was fully agreed in August, the two clubs were unable to seal a deal due to the U.K.’s restrictions on payments to Russia amid the ongoing war in Ukraine.
– Calciomercato has suggested that the only reason Roma full-back Matias Vina was unable to complete his proposed summer move to Galatasaray was time. With the Uruguayan having been given the green light to depart for Turkey, the report says that the two clubs have agreed to revisit the deal and finalise the details when January arrives.
– Billy Gilmour has played only one minute for Brighton & Hove Albion so far, but The Sun claims that Graham Potter leaving the Seagulls to take over at Chelsea has already put the midfielder in limbo. The Scotsman is said to have joined Brighton primarily so that he could play under Potter, and will now have wait to see who takes over at the Amex Stadium.